2021年7月23日 星期五

 客氣的乞者 Modest Mendicant




















Modest Mendicant客氣的乞者     23x35cm     2021_0721

釋文
我接受你願意給我的一切,別無所求。
What comes from your willing hands I take.  I beg for nothing more.
R. Tagore, Gardener 26
原文如下

26
"What comes from your willing hands I take.  I beg for nothing more."
我接受你願意給我的一切別無所求。」
 
"Yes, yes, I know you, modest mendicant, you ask for all that one has."
「好吧,好吧,我暸解你,客氣的乞者,你要的是一個人的全部所有。」
 
"If there be a stray flower for me I will wear it in my heart."
如果給我一朵野花我會把它戴在心上。」
 
"But if there be thorns?"
但如果花有刺呢?」
 
"I will endure them."
我會忍受。」
 
"Yes, yes, I know you, modest mendicant, you ask for all that one has."
「好吧,好吧,我暸解你,客氣的乞者,你要的是一個人的全部所有。」
 
 
"If but once you should raise your loving eyes to my face it would make my life sweet beyond death."
只要你和善地看著我的臉那怕只有一次也將使我的生命充滿甜蜜超越死亡。」
 
"But if there by only cruel glances?"
但如果那是殘酷的眼神呢
 
"I will keep them piercing my heart."
我就讓它一直刺穿我的心。」
 
"Yes, yes, I know you, modest mendicant, you ask for all that one has."
「好吧,好吧,我暸解你,客氣的乞者,你要的是一個人的全部所有。」


這首詩裡有兩者在對話一個是」,另一個是我的靈感」;事實是作者的自敘,他向讀者表

達:每次靈感來時,他都欣喜若狂超越死亡。」;他盡量接受靈感給他的全部啟發,不論甜美

的或斷腸的。

 

他的虛心和謙卑真是太「客氣」了!其實那是他的「雄心壯志」。

 

泰戈爾認為藝術活動中真實和豐富遠比美好更重要;詩篇不只像花朵一般美麗,有時它還有

刺。他在靈感來臨時沒有嫌棄那些刺,創作出來的作品才能包含歡笑和淚水。當靈感的「眼神」

是「殘酷」時,他也願意「讓它一直刺穿我的心」。所以他的作品內涵豐富,而且真實、深刻、充

滿智慧!他果然「要的是全部」。



 

 


2021年7月21日 星期三

幽會 Tryst


 


















Tryst 幽會                      23x35cm                         2021_0720


釋文

是我自己的心在狂跳我不知道如何靜下來

It is my own heart that beats wildly——I do not know how to quiet it.

R. Tagore, Gardener 09

原文如下

 

9

 When I go alone at night to my love-tryst, birds do not sing, the wind does not stir, the houses on both sides of the street stand silent.
當我在夜裡獨自赴幽會時,鳥不叫。風不吹,房屋在街道兩旁靜靜地站立著。
 
It is my own anklets that grow loud at every step and I am ashamed.
是我自己的腳鐲越走越響令人害羞。
 
When I sit on my balcony and listen for his footsteps, leaves do not rustle on the trees, and the water is still in the river like the sword on the knees of sentry fallen asleep.
當我坐在陽台上注意聽他的腳步聲時,樹上的葉子不再沙沙作響,河水也安靜得像打瞌睡的哨兵膝上的劍。
 
It is my own heart that beats wildly——I do not know how to quiet it.
是我自己的心在狂跳——我不知道該如何使它靜下來。
 
When my love comes and sits by my side, when my body trembles and my eyelids droop, the night darkens, the wind blows out the lamp, and the clouds draw veils over the stars.
當我的愛人來了,坐在我身邊,當我的身體在顫抖而我的眼皮垂下,夜更深了,微風把燈吹熄,雲朵在繁星之前拉過輕紗。
 
It is the jewel at my own breast that shines and gives light. I do not know how to hide it.
是我自己胸前的珠寶閃著亮光,我不知道怎樣隱藏。

 


泰戈爾有好幾首詩是形容每次創作靈感閃現時的不同心情,這一首把欣逢靈感來臨的感覺比擬為少女赴約會時的興奮和羞怯。

藝術家的靈魂中隱藏著許多熱切的渴望、許多志趣和理想以及秘密和珍藏;他有話要說,用藝術的形式,而不是普通的語言。他要選擇合適的表達方式,架構他陳述的步驟和整體的結構。這些意念在內心裡醞釀許久,終於靈感來了,他的諸多困難一下子迎刃而解!

 靈感來了!這是藝術家著手創作之前的一陣珍貴的、美妙的狂喜。泰戈爾把這時的天真爛漫用少女的幽會來形容,表達得很謙卑、純真。


2021年7月18日 星期日

 她是我 She is I





















She is I 她是我    23x35cn    2032_0717


釋文
她就是我她是我
She is I, young traveler, she is I.
R. Tagore, Gardener 08
原文如下

 

08
 
When the lamp went out by my bed I woke up with the early birds.
當我床頭的燈熄了,我跟早鳥同時起床。
 
I sat at my open window with a fresh wreath on my loose hair.
我坐在敞開的窗前,散髮上戴著新鮮的花串。
 
The young traveler came along the road in the rosy mist of the morning.
那年輕的旅人在玫瑰色的晨霧中沿路走來。
 
A pearl chain was on his neck, and the sun’s ray fell on his crown. He stopped before my door and asked me with an eager cry, “Where is she?”
他掛著珍珠項鍊,陽光照在他的纓冠上。他停在我門口,用殷切的聲音問我:「她在哪裡?」
 
For very shame I could not say, “She is I, young traveler, she is I.”
我羞怯地說:「她就是我,年輕的旅人,她是我。」
 
It is an April night, The lamp is burning in my room.
一個四月的夜晚,我的房間點著燈。
 
The breeze of the south comes gently. The noisy parrot sleeps in its cage.
南風徐來,聒噪的鸚鵡在籠裡睡著了。
 
My bodice is the colour of the peacock’s throat, and my mantle is green as young grass.
我的上衣跟孔雀的喉羽一樣華麗,我的披紗如青草一般碧綠。
 
I sit upon the floor at the window watching the deserted street.
我坐在窗前地板上,望著清冷的街道。
 
Through the dark night I keep humming, “She is I, despairing traveler, she is I.”
整夜我在黑暗中低吟:「她就是我,失望的旅人,她是我。」

 

雖然泰戈爾發表園丁集已經很有名,他的藝術成就受到廣泛的肯定,但這首詩仍然表現著濃厚的孤獨藝術家知音難求的哀嘆。他用村姑被慕名而來的年輕人所忽視來做比喻。
 
美麗純樸的村姑以自然輕鬆的姿態出現在年輕的旅人面前,那年輕的旅人竟看不上眼,還問她:「她在哪裡?」
 
村姑很尷尬晚上她盛裝出現年輕的旅人已經失望離去。她只能喃喃自語:「她就是我啊,她是我。」黑夜裡沒人聽到
 
年輕的旅人是慕名而來的,但看了本尊之後為什麼失望?「慕名」和「失望」這兩件事都發生在年輕旅人的心裡。
 
自古以來各民族的政治家宗教家哲學家教育家都想盡辦法給美感下個定義、定個規範,但全都徒然。每個生命個體對同一事物都有各自不同的美感判斷。出名如泰戈爾也不見得人人對他的作品產生共鳴。韓愈對欣賞他的作品之稱譽是有戒心的,他說:「大好大慚,小好小慚。」他寧願聽到誠懇的批評,不要虛偽的讚美。這首詩中那年輕的旅人雖然與村姑無緣,但他顯然是誠實的。
 
泰戈爾在很多作品中都強調藝術家最大的快樂是作品被欣賞這需要緣分需要彼此的細心與耐心。他把等待時的心情表現得誠懇、真摯而感人。

2021年7月17日 星期六

   Come




















Come      23x35cm     2021_0717

釋文
誰願意就請進來
Come to my house whoever chooses.
R. Tagore, Gardener 04
原文如下

    4

 

Ah me, why did they build my house by the road to the market town?

,他們為什麼把我的房子蓋在通往市場的路旁?

 

They moor their laden boats near my trees

他們把滿載貨物的船停靠在我的樹林邊。

 

They come and go and wander at their will.

他們任意來去遊逛。

 

I sit and watch them; my time wears on.

我坐著看著他們;光陰流逝了。

 

Turn them away I cannot. And thus my days pass by.

我不能趕走他們,我的日子過去了。

 

Night and day their steps sound by my door.

日日夜夜他們的腳步聲在我門前來來去去。

 

Vainly I cry, “I do not know you.”

我枉然叫道:「我不認識你們。」

 

Some of them are known to my fingers, some to my nostrils, the blood in my veins seems to know them, and some are known to my dreams.

他們有些人認識我的手指頭,有些是我的鼻管認識的,我脈管裡的血似乎認識他們,有些人認識我的夢。

 

Turn them away I cannot. I call them and say, “Come to my house whoever chooses. Yes, come.”

我不能趕走他們,我叫喚他們:「誰願意就請進到房子裡來吧,對,來。」

 

In the morning the bell rings in the temple.

清晨,廟裡的鐘聲響起。

 

They came with baskets in their hands.

他們提著籃子來了。

 

Their feet are rosy-red. The early light of dawn is on their faces.

他們的腳是玫瑰色的,晨曦照在他們的臉上。

 

Turn them away I cannot. I call them and I say, “Come to my garden to gather flowers. Come hither.

我不能趕走他們,我呼喚他們說:「到我花園來採花,來吧。」

 

In the mid-day, the gong sounds at the palace gate.

中午,鑼聲在殿門前響起。

 

I know not why they leave their work and linger near my hedge.

我不知道他們為什麼放下工作,在我籬邊流連。

 

The flowers in their hair are pale and faded; the notes are languid in their flutes.

他們頭上的花已經枯萎凋謝,琴聲也變得有氣無力。

 

Turn them away I cannot. I call them and say, “The shade is cool under my trees. Come, friends.”

我不能趕走他們,我招呼他們:「我的樹蔭很涼爽,來吧,朋友。」

 

At night the crickets chirp in the woods.

夜裡蟋蟀在林中鳴叫。

 

Who is it that comes slowly to my door and gently knocks?

是誰慢慢走來輕敲我的門?

 

I vaguely see the face, not a word spoken, the stillness of the sky is all around.

我看見他模糊的臉,沒人作聲,天空的寂靜圍繞四周。

 

Turn away my silent guest I cannot. I look at the face through the dark, and hours of dreams pass by.

我不能趕走我這沉默的客人,我在黑暗中望著他的臉,好幾個小時的作夢時間過去了。

 

 

這是泰戈爾借用他從詩人的角度欣賞鄉村小廟時心中產生的美感意象以表達

藝術的創作與欣賞之間的關係。

 

他把鄉間一座廟宇擬人化,表現村民和它之間簡樸誠懇的默契之美。

 

他沒說人們走來走去是在做什麼,也沒有明說「我的房子」是一座廟。他把所有的事情簡化。村民經常從「我的房子」進進出出,不須申請、不須登記、不限人數、不限次數、也沒人計較籃子裡裝的是什麼。夜裡也可以來,不說話也不要緊。「我的房子」和人們之間的關係是一種很美妙、很純樸的默契。

 

他把藝術家和詩人的作品比喻為「我的房子」。

 

欣賞者對作品的認識往往是片面的,即使只認識手指頭或一個夢,藝術家不介

意,只要有人願意欣賞,他就很高興了。「到我花園來採花,來吧。」

 

「我的房子」長期接受各色各樣的客人日夜不定時的來訪,誠懇接納之心永遠不變。

 

藝術家的作品雖然常被忽視,但好作品一定將是村民和外地人喜歡進香的地方

 I am caught 我被捕了




















I Am Caught 我被捕了    23x35cm    2021_0717

 

釋文

當我的心被幸福的洪水捲走時請原諒我危險的放縱

When my heart is borne away by the flood of happiness, do not smile at my perilous abandonment.

R. Tagore, Gardener 33

原文如下

 

33 

I love you, beloved. Forgive me my love.
我愛你,愛人,請寬恕我的愛。
 
Like a bird losing its way I am caught.
像一隻迷途的鳥我被捕了。
 
When my heart was shaken it lost its veil and was naked, Cover it with pity, beloved, and forgive me my love.
當我的心震顫時,面紗掉了,全身赤裸。用憐憫遮掩它吧,愛人,請寬恕我的愛。
 
If you cannot love me, beloved, forgive me my pain.
如果你不能愛我,愛人,請寬恕我的痛苦。
 
Do not look askance at me from afar.
不要從遠處斜眼看我
 
I will steal back to my corner and sit in the dark.
我將偷偷地退回角落坐在黑暗中
 
With both hands I will cover my naked shame.
我將用雙手遮掩我赤裸之羞愧,
 
Turn your face from me, beloved, and forgive me my pain.
轉開你的臉愛人請寬恕我的痛苦。
 
If you love me, beloved, forgive me my joy.
如果你愛我愛人請寬恕我的快樂
 
When my heart is borne away by the flood of happiness, do not smile at my perilous abandonment.
當我的心被幸福的洪水捲走時不要笑我危險的放縱
 
When I sit on my throne and rule you with my tyranny of love, when like a goddess I grant you my favour, Bear with my pride, beloved, and forgive me my joy.
當我坐在寶座上用專制的愛統治你的時候當我像個女神把愛賜給你的時候請你忍受我的驕傲愛人請寬恕我的快樂

 

這一次泰戈爾把他創作過程中靈感湧現時靈的震顫用愛的激動做比喻

藝術的熱情有時像熱戀中的情人,藝術家的心「被幸福的洪水捲走」時,危險的放縱中擺脫傳統和世俗的拘束創意才得以自由馳騁專制的統治才能突破故我塑造更高的境界

愛的激動使很平常的一顆心變得「全身赤裸」毫無顧忌,在那時刻他所能做到的遠遠超過自己的估計,天真爛漫激發了「神來之筆」。




2021年7月16日 星期五

 猶豫 Hesitate





















Hesitate 猶豫    22x33cm    2021_0716

釋文

我渴望說出最深刻的話語怕你見笑

I long to speak the deepest words I have to say to you, but I dare not, for fear you should laugh.

R. Tagore, Gardener 41

原文如下

 
41
 
I long to speak the deepest words I have to say to you, but I dare not, for fear you should laugh.
That is why I laugh at myself and shatter my secret in jest.
I make light of my pain, afraid you should do so.
我渴望對你說出最深刻的話語,但我不敢,怕你嘲笑。
因此我嘲笑自己,把我的秘密在戲謔中摔碎。
我輕描淡寫我的痛苦,怕你會這樣做。
 
I long to tell you the truest words I have to say to you, but I dare not, being afraid that you would not believe them.
That is why I disguise them to untruth, saying the contrary of what I mean.
I make my pain appear absurd, afraid that you should do so.
我渴望對你說出最真實的話語,但我不敢,怕你不相信。
因此我把它們偽裝成謊言,說一些違心之論
我讓自己的痛苦顯得可笑,怕你會這樣做。
 
I long to use the most precious words I have for you, but I dare not, fearing I should not be paid with like value.
That is why I gave you hard names and boast of callous strength.
I hurt you, for fear you should never know my pain,
我渴望用最珍貴的語詞形容你,但我不敢,怕得不到相應的回報。
因此我給你刻薄的綽號,誇耀冷酷的力量。
我傷害你,怕你不知道我的痛苦。
 
I long to sit silent by you; but I dare not lest my heart come out at my lips.
That is why I prattle and chatter lightly and hide my heart behind words.
I rudely handle my pain, for fear you should do so.
我渴望靜靜地坐在你身邊但我不敢,怕我的心會跳到嘴唇上
因此我輕鬆地東拉西扯把真心藏在話語後面
我粗暴地處理我的痛苦,因為怕你會這樣做
 
I long to go away from your side; but I dare not, for fear my cowardice should become known to you.
That is why I hold my head high and carelessly come into your presence.
Constant thrusts from your eyes keep my pain fresh for ever.
我渴望從你身邊走開但我不敢,怕我的怯懦被你識破
因此我高高地昂起頭滿不在乎地出現在你面前
從你眼中頻頻射來的錐刺使我的苦楚永遠傷痛

 

即使著作等身的詩人也常經歷下筆前的狐疑和猶豫。甚至越有創意的作家有時越沒信心。因為他們自我要求太高,他們「不敢」欺騙讀者。

偉大的作家才會怕讀者「嘲笑」,謙卑的作家才不敢隨便下筆讓自己「的心跳到嘴唇上」,或因「懦怯」而離開。

這首詩中的指的是讀者詩人在自己心裡塑造讀者的形象他想像中的知音愈卓越愈能鞭策自己使作品更卓越